Can I track the serial/batch numbers of items in the returns?
Yes, in Zoho Inventory, you can track the items that were returned by its serial number and batch number.
Before creating a sales return ensure that you have:
- Created a sales order for the items.
- Created an invoice within which you have selected the batch numbers and serial numbers for the items.
- Recorded payment for the items.
- Packaged and shipped the items.
To track the returns for a serial or batch item:
- Create a sales return. Note: If some of the items are damaged/expired, enable the ‘This sales return contains credit-only goods’ option and enter the damaged quantity in the Credit-Only field
- Create a credit note from the sales return.
- The line items will be split into two sections - Credit-Only Items and Receivable Items.
- Click on the Add batches option under the respective item’s quantity.
- Add the batch details for the receivable and credit-only quantity separately.
Pro Tip: The batch reference number should be new and unique as you cannot put the returned item back into the existing batches. However, the Manufacturer Batch# can be the same. You can also track the returned batches in the Batch Details report.
- Likewise, if the item is serial number tracked, then click on the Add Serial Number option to record the serial number for the receivable and credit-only quantities.
Pro Tip: After saving the credit note, scroll down to the footer of the credit note. You can find the details of the batch/serial numbers that were added. Click on a serial number to view its transaction history.
Insight: The serial and batch numbers that you add for the credit-only items will not be taken into stock and hence, you cannot use them in future transactions.