About Tek Textil
Tek Textil is a product development group that supplies performance fabrics for sports and athletics apparel brands. The fabric is developed by qualified vendors from different parts of the world with inputs from R&D team. Tek Textil needed an App that was flexible enough to accommodate the custom processes and the unique business model. Zoho Creator provided them the platform to build a custom engineering platform with capabilities similar to an ERP and a project management tool. For Tek Textil, the fabric development process begins when a brand requests a particular material of certain specifications. It ends when the material is produced in the vendor factory. A series of interconnected processes happens in between, which involves Tek Textil's customers, vendors, quality control divisions, production and R&D teams.
" It has reduced our stress and allowed us time to develop more business, less time managing it"
Tek Textil's material development process
When the Tek Textil team receives a new material request, the details are entered into the App by either the customer or Tek Textil sales people. A general specification for the new material request can be chosen from a catalog or created from scratch. This specification is attached to the material request. Based on the specs, Tek Textil engineers make a raw material list and required machinery. The appropriate workstations are then assigned to the material development.
The model, once created, will carry information about the material routing in the factory and the bill of materials. From the general spec and the model, a material spec is created. The virtual material development starts and the live data are compared to the specs for consistency. After the virtual material development, it is submitted for approval by the customers. The material spec is also used in lab tests during material development and production. The virtual material is compared to the specs and it is automatically approved or rejected.
Once the model of the material is approved, the color development for the material starts.
If the color is approved, the specs of the material and the color is locked. The customer can then make the production order, which can be done right from the App itself.
A production plan is then made from the raw material table and the process routing details.
During the production process, the statistical process control and quality data are updated and checked against the specs. Reports can be generated on this data too..
Tek Textil's material development App and its modules:
- Sales team, engineers, vendors, brand, manufacturers uses this module to raise material request, develop material specifications, select machinery, plan processes and its routing.
- The brands/manufacturers can request or define color standards for the material and the vendor can make color submissions here. Approved colors are then developed.
" When I finished the App, I wanted more, I was addicted "
- A virtual material is constructed and designed using Material Engineering Module.
- Tek Textil Engineers create the Bill Of Material, specify the vendor, select the correct knitting machinery for the process. They then assign vendors based on capabilities to create a model and construction sheet of the material.
- Vendors upload actual data from the process when engineering the material in the factory.
- Tek Textil engineers use this module to create the process routings/process steps and initial settings for each process.
Specs and Testing
- The brands and the R&D team can generate the material specifications from the general specs of the brand. These specs are then put into the lab tests. When the material reaches the quality control labs, these specs are referred and used for tests. The results are automatically updated on an HTML page and displayed instantly. Customers have access to all the test results and can raise a P.O immediately.
- The process routing for the material, that was locked in after the development, is automatically generated on the production floor.
- The material specs and routings are used to generate a production plan for the planning department.
- Ordering of new materials, production and quality tracking of the production orders can be done in this module.
VIM and Customer style master
- The brand's inputs about specifications are developed into the proper material specification by Tek Textil's R&D engineers. The vendors start working on these and update them with real data from the process. The virtual material is developed and submitted for approval. The ones which get an approval are locked and added to the VIM.
- A separate view of the VIM is provided to the customer with his/her pricing
Approval and notification systems
- Every time the virtual material development is completed by the vendor it is submitted for the lab tests. The customers are notified about the test results and the material which pass is listed as a drop-down from which customer can approve the ones which he wants to go into production.
- A new thread is opened each time a new material request is received and the users of the App can participate in this thread as the request evolves into specifications, undergoes lab test, meets approval and finally moves into production
- A database of all approved material specifications is stored in the VIM. It forms a library of the materials that brands can choose from while placing new requests.
" We are able to get real time data about the App "
- Once the material request is received, the raw materials needed to develop the material, the machinery needed and the process routing required are finalized by Tek Textil. Based on this, a first level BOM is prepared. As the material gets developed with further inputs from the vendor, the actual costing of the material is finalized and updated in the App.
- An inbuilt task management module assigns and tracks tasks involved in the material development process. Like a project management system, it sends periodic reminders and notifications to the owner of each task.
- The customer can generate a production order right from the App and once it goes into production, the statistical process control data and quality reports are generated at different data points and updated in the App. The real time data are compared with the specifications from the VIM and quality control actions are taken.