What is PaaS?
PaaS is a cloud offering that provides infrastructure for development and deployment of applications. It provides the middleware, development tools, and artificial intelligence to create powerful applications. Like Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), which saves you from buying and managing your own servers and data-center components, most PaaS services are bundled together with storage and network infrastructure.
The ever-rising demand for PaaS can be attributed to automation. With PaaS, developers no longer have to configure the application environment manually. This gives them the liberty to create their app without spending hours building the framework, and sinking money into software licenses and hardware.
PaaS also enables:
Faster time to market
Reusable code snippets and workflow automations cut down on coding, without compromising on the quality of the application.
Most PaaS providers allow developers to build applications for multiple platforms simultaneously, which saves a ton of time.
Information on the go
All of an application's information is available on the cloud at any time. This central repository makes data retrieval and manipulation much easier.
Development is done over the internet, so remote teams can work on projects without worrying about transferring files or manually syncing data.
Introduction to Platform as a Service
PaaS can be broadly divided into multiple types, xPaaS, where the x represents the service being offered. A few of them are:
- Application - aPaaS
- Integration - iPaaS
- Database - dbPaaS
- API management - apimPaaS
- Communications - cPaaS
- Functions - fPaaS
aPaaS is by far the most prominent type and is synonymous with rapid application development (RAD). Although similar to Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), it comes with extra icing—operating systems, analytics, and tools for development. It opens the door for the application lifecycle to be completed without any other technical requirements, as the underlying infrastructure is already taken care off.
Take an aPaaS journey with Zoho Creator
Zoho Creator is a low-code application development platform that helps you deliver web and mobile applications at the speed of your business. It's Zoho's version of aPaaS—an intuitive and secure environment for building applications from scratch, plus a wide variety of third-party integrations. The only prerequisite is to log in.
What makes Zoho Creator the ultimate aPaaS solution?
- Build apps that scale with your business' requirements. Job profiling, interface changes, service requests—Zoho Creator takes care of it all.
- Every app built on Zoho Creator runs natively on the web, and on iOS and Android devices.
- Drag-and-drop features enable you to build apps from scratch without writing any code.
- Deluge, Zoho's online scripting language, has an interactive editor that transforms user-friendly script into UI actions.
- Reusable code for development—with code snippets and autofill—cuts down on development time.
- Integrations with other Zoho and third-party applications put all your priorities within reach.
The best part, achieve high speed to market
95% of our customers implement Zoho Creator in less than a month.