Introduction to reports
Conventionally, a report comprises information that is gathered and put together with the intention of displaying, viewing, scrutinizing, tracking, or simply recording details. Textual or numeric content and graphic or audio-visual material can be used to create a report.
Zoho Creator incorporates reports as one of the components to complete the purpose of the application that you create. A report is a compilation of data that is collected using a form in the created application. All reports are based on forms and the inputs from the latter constitute the records. It is implicit that the information obtained using a form needs to be presented for viewing. This information is stored in the application itself; reports serve the purpose of taking this stored data and wrapping them into meaningful entities to provide you with insights. Therefore, upon creating a form, a list report with the standard table layout will automatically be created.
There are many agents in Zoho Creator that help you create efficient, functional reports that fulfill specific business needs. You can use charts, diagrams, images, and audio-video files; create criteria based on which data is filtered and presented; categorically arrange the data. In addition, you are equipped with the facility to create more than one report based on a single form. For instance, if you have a form that obtains complete student profile, your default report captures the congruent information. However, you will be able to create multiple reports using this one form:
- You can create a Student Contact Details report that looks up the required information from the report that has the complete profile of all the students.
- You can create a report that categorizes students based on departments. So this will be a Department Details report based on the complete student profile form.
- You can add a criteria stating that students option for a specific major alone be displayed in the report and filter out records that meet the criteria. By way of which you could create separate reports for each major subject based on a single form.
- Assume you have a performance analysis report that captures information from complete student profile. The form can have fields that look up values from another form that features students' grades and marks. So the report will have fields and field values from two different reports, collaborated to create the performance analysis.
Report features and capabilities
- Quick view of report - You can view the entire report and run through the records in one glance.
- Detail view of report - It provides you with the complete information in a single record, and also incorporates other related data to give additional insights.
- Quick view layout of report - The report is structured in a quick view layout that makes the data comprehensive, while providing insights.
- Detail view layout of report - You will be able to view record information as label and value pairs or in a format that displays more information that it adds value to the existing details.
- Custom layout of report - Customized layouts enable you to venture into more specific and unconventional structures that provide proper insights.
- Quick view menus in report - System actions like add, print, export, edit, delete, duplicate, and view records enable you to interact with the report in the quick view interface.
- Detail view menus in report - System actions like add, print, edit, delete, and duplicate enable you to interact with an individual record.
- Quick view gestures for browser, mobile, and tablet - Designated to system or custom actions, gestures will help you execute actions or display the associated actions in the report.
- Custom actions - Differing from the available default system actions, custom actions are scripted actions created exclusively to meet specific purposes in the report.
- Filtered report (Criteria based records) - The filtered report features records that match a particular criteria. The criteria serves as a predetermined filter, enabling you to only view and access select records from the report.
- Grouped records in report (based on specified fields) - Records can be categorically organized into groups based on specific field values, enabling the report to provide field based insights to the data.
- Sorted records in report - The report that you view displays the records in a predetermined sequence.
- Print templates for report - Templates created for the purpose of printing the records in a layout different from that of the report's are made available on selecting Print. The printed records come in the format of the chosen template.
- Conditional formatting in report - Serves the purpose of highlighting or drawing attention to key aspects or particular field values that need emphasis. The formatting is based on defined conditions and the values that match the conditions are highlighted.
- Add button - You can add a new record to the report. Clicking add button displays the form in a popup window, through which the record can be added.
- Duplicate record - You can make a copy of a record in the same report.
- Edit record - You can make changes to an existing record in the report. Clicking edit displays the form in a popup window and the changes can be made and submitted.
- Bulk edit - Bulk edit enables you to make changes to the field values of all or a collection of records. Making uniform changes across multiple records is easily achievable.
- Bulk delete - Bulk delete allows you to permanently remove all or a collection of records from the report.
- Bulk duplicate - Bulk duplicate enables you to make copies of all or a collection of records in the same report.
- Import records - You can import data into the report from external sources. It enables you to browse and upload records from local drive or cloud and copy data and paste the same to make a report.
- Delete record - You can remove a record from the report permanently.
- Export as spreadsheet - Export the report as a Spreadsheet.
- Export as pdf - Export the report as a PDF.
- Export as html - Export the report as HTML.
- Export as xml - Export the report as XML.
- Export as json - Export the report as JSON.
- Export as csv - Export the report as CSV.
- Export as tsv - Export the report as TSV.
- Print as list - It helps you select a list layout only when printing the records, while not changing the layout of the report in web, mobile, or browser.
- Print as summary - It helps you select a summary layout only when printing the records, while not changing the layout of the report in web, mobile, or browser.
- Search in report - Search helps in looking for required information in the report. It provides search operators that help in defining the condition based on which the records must be filtered and displayed. A combination of conditions can be used to narrow down to particular records.
- Quick filters in report - Quick filters help you drill down to particular records based on specific field values, thereby presenting to the you only the relevant data. Filters are choice field values and date/date-time field values. When one of these values are selected, the records that match the selection are displayed, discounting the rest of the data.
- Show as list - It helps you view a certain type of report as a list report. All report types, barring pivot chart and table, can be switched to list report view without any limitations.
- Show as spreadsheet - You can view a list, calendar, timeline, kanban, or map report as a spreadsheet.
- Show as kanban - You can view a list, calendar, timeline, spreadsheet, or map report as a kanban report. This switch will be enabled if there are single select dropdown or single select lookup fields participating in the report.
- Show as timeline - You can view a list, calendar, spreadsheet, kanban, or map report as a timeline report. This switch will be enabled if there are date-time fields participating in the report.
- Show as calendar - You can view a list, timeline, spreadsheet, kanban, or map report as a timeline report. This switch will be enabled if there are date/date-time fields participating in the report.
Calendar and Timeline features
- Month view - You can view a month's worth records in a calendar or timeline report.
- Week view - You can view a week's worth records in a calendar or timeline report.
- Day view - You can view a day's worth records in a timeline report.
Pivot table and chart features
- Charts types - You can change the type of Pivot chart. It allows switching from a line graph to a bubble graph, providing a whole new perspective to the data.
- Export as excel - Export the report as an Excel sheet.
- Export as image - Export the report as an image.
- View underlying data - View under lying data provides you with an option to view records that match the particular value.
- Drill down data by - Drill down data by provides you with a list of fields based on which the records must be filtered and displayed on the chart.
- Sort by column - It helps you arrange the records in a sequence based on the values in the column.
- Sort by rows - It helps you arrange the records in a sequence based on the values in the rows.