Understand multi select field
The Multi Select
field enables your users to select one or more values from a predefined set of choices that are displayed in a dropdown menu.
When to use this field?
You may consider the following pointers to determine when to use a multi select field:
- Opt to use a multi select field if the data that you want to enable your users to enter spans a defined set of choices, and one or more of these choices can be present per entry (or record)
- The checkbox field also enables your users to select one or more from the predefined set of choices. Where the multi select and checkbox fields differ is the way the choices are displayed when your users access them on a web-browser: in a dropdown menu and as checkboxes, respectively. (They look the same when accessed from a phone or tablet)
- If you want to enable your users to select a single value, you must opt to adding a drop down or radio field to your form
- If you want to create a dynamic picklist that allows your users to select multiple values, then you must opt to using a multi-select lookup field
A choice displayed by the multi select field contain up to 255 characters.
- You can manage the choices that the multi select field displays:
- Search and auto-complete: When your users access your form from a web browswer, they can search the multi select field for the required choice by typing in it. When they type, the choices that contain the typed text appear. This saves time and effort as compared to scrolling through the list of choices.
- Customize the field name and field link name of this field
- Make it mandatory for your users to enter an input in this field
- Enable showing this field only to the app’s admin (and hide it from other users)
- Change field type
- Set field size
- Enable displaying a tooltip message when your users hover their mouse over this field