Understand file upload field
The File Upload field enables your users to upload a file while submitting their data through your form. Your users can select the file either from their device (in the device's local storage) or from any of cloud storage services we support. The following is how a file upload field looks on a form:
- When a user accesses from a web browser:
- When a user accesses from a phone or tablet:
- When a user accesses from a web browser, the file upload field accepts a file up to 50 MB
- When a user accesses from an iPhone or iPad device, the file upload field accepts a file up to 50 MB
- When a user accesses from an Android device, the file upload field accepts a file up to 5 MB
The files that your users submit through your form are counted towards your account’s storage limit. Visit your account's usage details page to view the current storage details.
When your users upload a file to this field, the file's name is set in the following format:
- The file's name is prepended by an underscore (_) and a system-generated number that uniquely identifies that file in your account
- The file's name will automatically be trimmed when it exceeds 150 characters
- Whitespaces and other special characters, excepting hyphens (-), will be replaced by an underscore (_).
On accessing from a web browser
The following is an example of a file upload field when a user accesses from a web browser. Subject to the browse options you enable for your field, your users can upload a file:
- Click the upload icon. This will launch the device's file manager.
- Select the required file.
Alternatively, you can drag and drop the required file in to the field.
- Click the cloud picker icon. The Cloud Picker pop-up window will appear, displaying all the files and folders present in your Zoho Docs.
- Select the required field, then click Attach.
- Click the cloud picker icon. The Cloud Picker pop-up window will appear.
- Select Google Drive on the left. If you previously connected with your Google account, the files and folders from your Google Drive will be displayed, and you will be taken to step six.
- Click Authenticate Google.
- Enter your Google account's credentials.
- Grant Zoho Corp the permission to view and manage the files in your Google Drive. Upon a successful connection, all the files and folders from your Google Drive will appear.
- Select the required field, then click Attach.
- The end users can connect with multiple Google accounts via the Sign in as a different user button near the top-right corner of the Cloud Picker pop-up window.
- The end users will be able to upload files from their Google Drive, if Zoho has access to their Google accounts. Refer to this page to learn more, including removing this access.
On accessing from a phone or tablet
The following is an example of how a file upload field looks when a user accesses from a phone or tablet. Your users will be able to:
- Upload a file
- Upload a photo from their device's gallery
- When using iOS 13.0 and later, scan photos and upload them as a PDF file
- Tap the file upload field, then tap Browse. This will open the recently accessed files in your user's device.
- Select the required file.
- Tap the file upload field, then tap Choose Photo. This will open the device's photo gallery.
- Select the required photo. This will close the photo gallery and let the end user preview the selected photo.
Users of iOS 13.0 and later will be allowed to scan multiple photos and upload them as a PDF to the file upload field.
- Tap the file upload field, then tap Scan Document.
- Capture the required images and click Save.
You can perform the following customizations for the user experience of the file upload field on a form:
- Set the browse options: This defines the sources from which your users will be able to select the file when they access the file upload field.
- Local Computer enables your users to upload a file that's stored in their device—computer, phone, or tablet
- Zoho Docs enables your users to upload a file from their Zoho Docs
- Google Drive enables your users to upload a file from their Google Drive
- Customize the field name and field link name of this field
- Make it mandatory for your users to upload a file in this field
- Show the field only to the app’s admin (and hide it from other users)
- Set the field size
- Describe this field using a tooltip or a help text
A file stored in the file upload file can be downloaded using the following URL:
- domain will be DC-specific. For example, you'll need to use creatorexport.zoho.com if your account is in Zoho's US data center, and creatorexport.zoho.eu if in the EU data center.
- account_owner_name contains the user name of the Creator application's account owner and the link name of the application.
- reportLinkName is the link name of the report where the corresponding file upload field is displayed.
- fieldLinkName is the link name of the corresponding file upload field. Click here to learn more about the script name for a field.
- fileName is the corresponding file's name. Learn more
For example, imagine that you've built a Candidate Recruitment app. In this application, you have created a form named Candidate Details, where your users will enter the required details and upload their resume. When you access the Candidate Details report, you may want to view their resumes. To do this, you can configure a custom action in your report such that when you click the button Download resume, the resume is downloaded as a file. This custom action has the above URL format constructed as follows:
openURL( BaseURL, “window type”);
- BaseURL is a variable that refers to the URL you have constructed
- zoho.appuri returns the application details in the format:
- input.<fieldLinkName> returns the filename of each file stored in the corresponding file upload field
- The openUrl Deluge task is used to redirect the user to the specified URL. This URL can be opened in the same window, new window, parent window, popup window, or iframe
Now, when you access the Candidate Details report, you can see the Download resume button:
In the above image, Megan is the <account_owner_name> and candidate-recruitment is the <application_link_name>
- The file download tool supports download of files from file upload, image, and signature fields as of now. You cannot download the files if these fields are in a subform inside the parent form.
- This tool is currently only supported for Windows.
- Ensure that you have ten or fewer authtokens in your accounts.zoho.com to avoid any username or password-related errors
Zoho Creator provides a tool that enables you to download all the files stored in a file upload field, at once. To use this tool:
- Download the tool and run it. Ensure to download the right tool:
- Enter your Zoho Credentials, then click Sign In:
- Alternatively, you can use a pre-generated application-specific password and the email address used to log in to your Zoho account to sign in to the filedownloader.exe tool.
- Select the required Application Name. This is the application containing the uploaded files.
- Select the required View Name. This is the report in the specified application containing the files.
- Enter the Field Deluge Name. This is the field link name of the required file upload field. Click on the "?" icon to view field deluge names in your applications.
- Specify the Local Folder Path. This is the folder where your files will be saved.
- Click Download.
Once all the files have been downloaded, a success message will pop up. The downloaded files will be stored in the folder specified in the tool.
- The field will be disabled when it is configured to only accept a file from cloud storage services (Zoho Docs and Google Drive)
- Your users will only have access to the upload icon when the field is configured to accept files from both, local and cloud storage