Understand audio field
The audio field enables your users to submit an audio input through your form, either by recording or by uploading an audio file that's stored in their device (computer, phone, or tablet). Below is how an audio field looks on a form:
- When a user accesses from a web browser:
- When a user accesses from a phone or tablet:
An audio field can accept an audio of up to 30 minutes, and which doesn't exceed a size of 50 MB.
The audio that your users submit through your form are stored in your account and are counted towards your account’s total storage limit. Refer your Account Setup > Data Administration > Usage Details page to view your current storage details.
Below is an example of an audio field when a user accesses from a web browser. Two icons appear in the audio field, as shown below. Your users can:
To upload an audio file, your user can click the Upload icon in the audio field. This will launch the file browser where your user can select the required file. Alternatively, your user can drag and drop an audio file in the field.
With regard to uploading an audio file when accessing from a web browser, there are some format limitations:
|Web browser||Supported formats|
|Chrome||mp3, wav, aac, m4a|
|Firefox||mp3, wav, aac, m4a|
If your user uploads an audio that's longer than the allowed duration that's set for that audio field, Zoho Creator will alert as follows. The following image shows an audio field that's set to accept an audio of up to 5 minutes.
If you user uploads a file that's not an audio, Zoho Creator will alert:
- Select Audio. This will display the recording screen within the pop-up window.
- Click the Microphone icon, displayed at the bottom of the pop-up window. This will start the recording.
- If it is the first time your user is accessing the audio field, they will be prompted to grant permission to use the computer's microphone.
- They can either Allow or Block.
- If they select Block, they will be prompted with the message Allow access to media. They won't be able to record an audio till they Allow access to the microphone.
- Click Allow. This will start the recording immediately, and replace the Microphone icon with the Stop icon.
- Click the Stop icon to stop recording. Alternatively, the recording will automatically stop when it reaches the allowed duration (set for that audio field).
- Click the Play icon to play the recorded audio.
- Click Retake to record again. This will clear the prior recording and display the Microphone icon, thereby letting the user start recording an audio again.
- Click the Check mark button (displayed at the bottom of the pop-up window), once done recording. This will close the pop-up window and display the recorded audio in the audio field.
When your users access the audio field on a phone or tablet, they can only record an audio. Uploading an audio file is not supported. Below given is what happens when your users tap on the audio field:
- If it the first time your user is accessing the audio field, they will be prompted to grant permission to use the device's microphone.
- Tap Ok to grant permission.
- If your user taps Don't Allow, they won't be able to proceed with recording an audio. Until they grant this access (in the app's permissions in the device's settings) they won't be able to record an audio for the audio field.
- Tap Ok. This will display a prompt at the screen's bottom.
- Tap Start Recording. This will display a 3-second timer and start counting it down. This is to let the user get ready for the audio recording.
- (Once the timer finishes, the audio recording begins)
- Time Elapsed is displayed in the center of the device's screen.
- The recording limit (allowed duration set for that audio field) is displayed below the Time Elapsed.
- Tap the Pause icon to pause the recording. Tap the Microphone icon to resume recording the audio.
- Tap Cancel, displayed on the top-left of the device's screen, to cancel the audio recording.
- Tap Discard Recording to confirm this cancellation.
- Tap Cancel to retain the recorded audio.
- Tap Done, displayed on the top-right on the screen, once done recording. Alternatively, the recording will automatically stop when it reaches the allowed duration (set for that audio field). This will close the audio recording screen and the recorded audio will appear in that audio field.
- Tap on the audio field, then
- Tap Play Recording to hear the recorded audio.
- Tap Record Again to record the audio again. This will discard the prior audio recording.
- Tap Remove Recording to remove the recorded audio.
- Tap Cancel to retain the recorded audio as input in that audio field.
You can perform the following customizations for the user experience of the audio field on a form:
- Set the allowed duration up to which the uploaded or recorded audio can span
- Customize the field name and field link name of this field
- Make it mandatory for your users to upload or record an audio in this field
- Show the field only to the app’s admin (and hide it from other users)
- Set the field size
- Describe this field using a tooltip or a help text