MS Access and Excel Migration Tool
Table of Contents
MS Office is a very powerful and popular tool to address your business and personal requirements. MS Access helps you to build databases and MS Excel is an excellent way to maintain spreadsheet data. One of the drawbacks in using any desktop application is, when you use it over a period of time and have large data, data portability becomes difficult. It gets stuck to the PC in which the file/application is in. Sharing and collaboration may not be easy too. More often MS Access database require a interface to enter the data and use PHP or any server side scripting to update/insert of manipulate the information stored in it. Writing and maintaining Macros for excel spreadsheets could also become difficult once the data becomes huge and complex.
Zoho Creator, on the other hand, is a powerful platform that enables you to build applications that can be accessed from web browsers, smartphones, and tablets.
To migrate the data from your MS Access applications and Excel spreadsheets, Zoho Creator offers GUI-based and console-based migration tools. You just need to have your MS Access MDB file, and import it to this tool. All the tables are imported with the relationships intact, you could just check them and upload them to Zoho Creator as an application. In case of the excel spreadsheets, you can import the XL file and each sheet becomes a Form and corresponding reports are created in the application.
Before you use the tool:
- You need to have Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 (32-bit or x86) installed on your machine for our tool to work properly
- There is no limit on the number of columns while importing data to existing forms. However, while creating an app by importing data using our tool, the number of columns should not exceed 70.
- For questions and issues, please reach us at email@example.com
- Click File, then select the required option: Import MS Access Database or Import Excel / CSV Spreadsheet.
- Select the File, then click Open.
- Upon a successful import, the Tables pane on the left will list all the tables present in your file. Selecting a table will list its columns on the right. Optionally, you can modify the Field Type associated with each column and the Field Properties. Refer to Zoho Creator Field Types to learn about the field types.
- Unique - Selecting "Yes" will not allow any duplicate entries for this field.
- Required (Mandatory) - Selecting "Yes" will not allow any empty values for this field.
- Show fields to admin only - Selecting "Yes" will make this field accessible only to the administrator/owner of the application.
- Default value - Specify the value for null data.
- Choices - List of choices for Dropdown,Checkbox, Multi Select, Radio field types.
- Decimal Places - Specify the number of trailing decimal places for Decimal, Percent, Currency field types.
- Field Name - Specify the Deluge name for this field. Learn more
- Lookup Field - Specify the Lookup field relation. Learn more
Now all set, you can upload the data using File > Upload to Zoho Creator > Create New Application menu. This will display the login window where you can give your application name and Zoho credentials to initiate the migration process. Enter you Zoho User Name and Password and click on Upload to Zoho Creator. Once the migration is successful you can access the application in creator.zoho.com by login Zoho Areator accout.
Refer the Quick Start Guide to help you get started with creating applications in Zoho Creator.
You can upload data to any of the Forms in your application. You need to select the table or sheet from which you want to upload the data and select the corresponding Form (or) you can create a new Form on the fly and upload your data.
- Click File > Upload to Zoho Creator > Add Data to Existing Application:
- Give the details and click on Upload to Zoho Creator button.
- Sign into your creator account and verify that the data has been uploaded to the respective reports.
Download the right tool:
In addition to the GUI-based migration tool, Zoho Creator offers the console-based migration tool. The console-based tool can be used to automate uploading your offline data to an existing Zoho Creator application. The arguments for various mode of uploading:
- To create a new application:
zohocreator.exe <filepath> <username> <password> -n <applinkname>Example:zohocreator.exe c:\myfolder\ordermanagement.csv john mypassword -n order-management
- To create a new form:
zohocreator.exe <filepath> <username> <password> -e <applinkname> -n <formlinkname>Example:zohocreator.exe c:\myfolder\ordermanagement.csv john mypassword -e order-management -n Order_form
- To add a record:
zohocreator.exe <filepath> <username> <password> -e <applinkname> -a <formlinkname>Example:zohocreator.exe c:\myfolder\ordermanagement.csv john mypassword -e order-management -a Order_form
- To add a record in a shared user's name:
zohocreator.exe <filepath> <username> <password> -e <applinkname> -n <formlinkname> -o <ownername>Example:zohocreator.exe c:\myfolder\ordermanagement.csv john mypassword -e order-management -a order_form -o Smith
- To update a record:
zohocreator.exe <filepath> <username> <password> -e <applinkname> -u <formlinkname> <fieldlinkname> <columnname>Example:zohocreator.exe c:\myfolder\ordermanagement.csv john mypassword -e order-management -u order_form Items Products
- To add or update a record:
zohocreator.exe <filepath> <username> <password> -e <applinkname> -au <formlinkname> <fieldlinkname> <columnname>Example:zohocreator.exe c:\myfolder\ordermanagement.csv john mypassword -e order-management -au order_form Items Products
-n refers to new application or new form
-e refers to existing application
-o refers to the application owner's name
-u refers to data update
-a refers to'' adding data
-au refers to add/update
Refer to our Quick Start Guide to get started with creating applications in Zoho Creator.