Table of Contents
Every form in Zoho Creator has its own email address, so you can just sent an email to submit form data. Zoho Creator checks for form updates via e-mail, once in every ten minutes. The data submitted through e-mail will be directly added to your database. This feature is supported only from the professional plan.
1. Access the form in the live mode, to which a record needs to be added dynamically as shown in the screenshot below.
2. Click on the Settings Icon -> Submit through Email option from the form header. The Submit through Email dialog will be displayed.
3. Copy the Email Template and also the e-mail address specified. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Now, specify the above email id as the To address in your email client.
5. In the e-mail message field, fill in the details as per the Email Template.
6. To capture a file to the record, copy paste the file name to the respective labels as mentioned below.
Picture : IMG_0024.JPG
Resume : resume.pdf
- Note that you can send the email message only as plain text. Rich text is not supported.
- Note that if you attach more files than the specified number of fields, only the files that are attached first will be captured while the other files will be ignored.
As an enhancement to adding form data via email in specified format, Zoho Creator now provides the option to send form data in user-defined format.
To use this feature,
- Add a new text field to the Form with Deluge name as ZC_Subject to capture the subject of the mail.
- Add a new multi-line text field or rich-text field to the Form with Deluge name as ZC_Content to capture the content of the mail, in any format.
- Add a new File Upload Field with Deluge name as ZC_File to capture the file attached to the mail.
- Multiple files can also be captured by adding required number of File Upload Fields with Deluge name as ZC_File0, ZC_File1 and so on.
- When a number of files say a.txt, b.txt etc are attached to the mail, a.txt will be captured under ZC_File0, b.txt under ZC_File1 and so on.
- Select Settings icon -> Submit through Email option from the form header, to get the email-id of the form.
- When a mail is sent with data to the specified mail id, these fields will capture the subject, content and files attached to the mail. In the case of using ZC_Subject (text field) and ZC_Content (rich-text field), it will capture the html MIME block first, or revert to plain text if there is no HTML.
- The "Submit through Email" feature only works for forms that you yourself create in your own account but once you have the address you can share it with other people who may want to use the form in this way. If the form is Private, only users with whom you have shared the application can send email to the form, and only if they send it from the same personal email address they use in Zoho Creator. If someone without permission to use a private application tries to email one of its forms, they will get a response email explaining that they do not have permission.
You can fetch data to your form from the email id using the form alias mail id. Instead of sending mail to the form mail id, you can send the mail to an alias mail id. Mail forwarding is enabled in the alias mail id and the email data received in this id will be automatically forwarded to the form mail id. The email data received is automatically added to the respective fields in the form.
Form alias Email id feature can be done only through user defined format of adding email data to the form.
Configure form alias mail id
To configure form alias mail id and fetch the email data sent to your alias mail id in zoho creator form, follow these steps:
1. Go to edit mode of the form as shown below, and click on Form Settings-->Notification.
2. Enter the alias mail id in the Form Alias Email Id text field. You can also customize your form fields through label placement and label width options as shown in the screenshot below.
3. Now click on the save button.
4. Add the forms.zohocreator.com email id of the form to the alias mail so that any mail sent to the alias mail id is forwarded to the form mail id. To enable this option, go to mail forwarding option in the alias mail settings. Any emails received to the form mail-id will get added as record in the Zoho Creator form.
- Ensure that the form is public in order to receive the authentication mail from the alias mail server(External mail server such as gmail,yahoo). On authentication, mail forwarding option is enabled and the emails sent to the alias mail id is automatically forwarded to the forms.creator.com mail id. To make the form public, please refer the following link.
The "Submit through Email" feature supports On Add -> On Validate and On Add -> On Success script sections.
The details about the Email sent using the email data feature with status, will be logged and displayed in Usage Logs - Email Data section in the Zoho Creator Home page, as shown in the screen-shot below. The application owner and developer will have access to this information. The Email data log shown below displays the emails sent during the last one week.