Configuring an Email Field
The Email field type is used to collect email addresses. Zoho Creator is equipped to automatically validate the entry in an email field type, and to accept only valid email address formats. The entry can have any character type and the field does not impose a restriction.
- Drag and drop the Email field to the editor area. You can also double click on the field type to add it to the Form.
- Enter a name for the field under field properties. The field will be labelled with the name specified by the user. The field deluge name is assigned automatically with underscores replacing the white spaces in the Field name. Users can also modify the field deluge name manually. Configure the rest of field properties as required.
- When you access the Application, the text field will be displayed in the Form to collect data.
The following properties can be customized for an Email field type:
- Select the Mandatory checkbox to make it compulsory for users to enter data into the field. The Form submission will not be allowed unless the field contains data.
- Select the No Duplicate Values checkbox to restrict duplicate entries. Which means every input into this field needs to be unique without any repetition.
- The value specified in the Initial Value box will be pre-loaded into the Field when the Form is accessed. For example, if the "Initial Value" has been specified as "firstname.lastname@example.org", the Form will load with "email@example.com" as the default input value for Email field. This value can be modified by users when they access the Form.
- The number specified in the Max Characters box will be the maximum number of characters that the user can enter into the Field.
User input for Mobile
Select QR code or Barcode or both to allow Zoho Creator mobile app users to submit data by scanning optical codes using their phone camera. When either of them is selected, you can configure the following properties:
- Select the Get input before the form is displayed checkbox to enable scanning of the optical code before the Form is loaded. In such a case, the camera is launched before the Form to scan the optical code. Once the scan is complete, field values are populated with data when the Form loads.
- Select the Disable manual input checkbox to restrict the user from entering data into the fields manually.
- Selecting the Default Camera option as "Primary" sets the rear camera of the mobile as the default scanner. The option "Secondary" sets the front camera of the mobile as the default scanner.
- Select the Allow to Switch Camera checkbox to give the user the choice of selecting either the front or the rear camera to scan the optical code.
- Select the Enable Photo Gallery checkbox to enable scanning of optical codes stored in the phone's photo gallery of users.
- Select the Set Preview Duration checkbox to display a preview of the scanned code value. The preview can be configured to display for 3, 5, 10, 15 or 20 seconds, post which the Form loads with the field value.
- Select Submit Form after capturing checkbox to automatically submit the Form with data after the scan is complete.
This section contains a property called Show field to with "Everyone" and "Admin Only" as the choices. Selecting "Everyone" will make the field visible to all the users. Selecting "Admin Only" will restrict the field visibilty to the Admin or the owner of the Application only.
A Rule defines the tasks to be triggered at the specified Form event(while adding a record, updating a record, or both) when the optional criteria is met. The tasks can be Field tasks, Form tasks or Subform tasks. Learn more about configuring rules and tasks.
This section allows app owners to convert the field type, customize the field size, and write tool tip messages which will be displayed when the cursor is placed on the Field.
- Field Type - An Email field type can be converted into a Single Line field types.
- Field Size - The field size can be set to small, medium, large or a custom size which can be customized.
- Tooltip Message - This option can be used to write text, which would be displayed when Application users place the cursor on the field.
- The String datatype is used in scripting for the Email field type.