One of the most popular ways to store all the data of a company is through spreadsheets. Spreadsheets have the capability to store a large amount of data, but the era of spreadsheets is over. A single spreadsheet used by too many users may lead to a lot of complications like difficulty in keeping track of changes in data, etc.
Furthermore, when you interact with your prospects, it is inevitable that there would be a lot of emails being sent, messages passed through social media and such. It is not possible to keep track of everything in a spreadsheet since multiple information about a single contact is too much for it to handle. But with this tool, you can view, interact and manage all information about your contacts from a single location.
Permission Required: All users can import contacts to Zoho ContactManager.
- Supported file formats: .csv, .xls and .xlsx
- The first row of your file should contain the column headings or field names (example: 'First Name', 'Last Name', 'Title', etc.).
- 'Last Name' is a mandatory field. Records without 'Last Name' field will be ignored.
- Your file's size should not exceed 10MB.
- You can't import more than 10,000 records in a single upload. If your file contains more than 10,000 records you can split your file into multiple files and import them in batches of 10,000 each.
To import contacts
- Go to the Contacts tab and click Import.
- Select CSV/XLS from the available options.
- Upload the file from your computer or use Upload from Cloud option to attach files directly from any cloud based file hosting service like Dropbox, OneDrive, etc.
- Click Next.
- Map the columns in your file with the corresponding fields in Zoho ContactManager.
- Click the Add more fields link to add custom fields and map them to the columns in the import file.
- Select one of the options to handle duplicates.
Duplicate contacts are identified by email addresses in Zoho ContactManager.
- Do not import - The duplicate record from the file is not imported.
- Overwrite - Data from the import file is overwritten in the existing record.
- Merge with existing contacts - in the duplicate record, new field values will be merged with the record in Zoho CM.
Merging information does not change the existing record, but instead adds any new fields.
- Click the AddTags link to apply tags to the contacts.
- Click Submit to import.
Overwrite and Merge - Example
|Data in a file||Data in ContactManager records||Overwrite||Merge|
|Name : XYZ||Name : XYZ||Name : XYZ||Name : XYZ|
|Email : firstname.lastname@example.org||Email : email@example.com||Email : firstname.lastname@example.org||Email : email@example.com|
|Number of Orders : 10||Number of Orders : 9||Number of Orders : 10||Number of Orders : 9|
|Country : USA||Country : USA||Country : USA|