Create Email Campaign
Email marketing is considered the simple and most effective method to reach out your leads and subscribers. The best part is that the return on investment (ROI) is much higher than other marketing channels making it as the most affordable way of marketing.
This user guide will be the one-stop-shop for all your questions - be it creating and sending an email campaign, importing leads/subscribers from Zoho CRM, how to create a mailing list, embed signup form in your websit, or simply adding subscribers. Explore the different facets of email marketing and the finest ways of email campaigning!
To create and send an email campaign, you’ll go through following steps,
- Adding Basic Details for Your Email Campaign
- Configuring the Content
- Selecting Your Email Recipients
- Sending Your Email Campaign
- From the Navigation toolbar, choose Campaigns and select Email Campaigns.
- Click Create Campaign in the top-right corner of the screen. The Basic Info page will open.
- Enter these details:
- Name - Select an easily recognizable name. For instance, if the Zylker company is sending a monthly newsletter, name the campaign "Zylker Newsletter June 2015", or something similar.
- Subject - Come up with a clever or eye-catching email subject line. A great subject line is going to draw many more readers than something boring and dry.
- Sender Name and Email Address - Give a name and email address that your recipients can recognize easily. The name could be your company or brand name.
- Address recipients by name - Personalize your recipients by addressing them by name.
- Use sender details from Zoho CRM - If the recipient was imported from Zoho CRM, you can personalize the sender name based on which user owns the account in CRM.
- Avoid using group email addresses such as info@, admin@, support@ as the sender address. Chances are high that emails from these addresses will end up in the spam folder.
- Try running an AB test on email subject lines to find out which one gets better response.
Zoho Campaigns provides some pre-designed email templates for you to use. Just pick an email template that meets your needs, and then make some modifications to personalize it for your company's voice.
If this is your first email campaign, we recommend starting with the basic templates. In addition to selecting a template, you can use the Template Editor to add design elements, such as images, text, buttons, anchor tags. Customize the layout of your emails with ease, using the drop down feature.
If you already have content, or want another way to add it, we do provide alternate options to add content.
HTML Editor - Select this if you want to send your campaign with visual images and logos. The recipient of your campaign must be using a browser/email client and device that support this format.
Text Editor - These are simple emails without images or logos. The purpose is to send your message without losing any content. Plain-text campaigns have a very high degree of deliverability (no lost content).
Import/Upload - With this option, you can import the HTML content for your email. You can browse and select the HTML file as well as any related images, and then upload them.
You can either import from your desktop or from cloud services such as Zoho Docs, Google Drive, and Dropbox, etc.
Recently Sent - If you have already sent email campaigns, you can use the content from a previous campaign as a template for your new campaign.
Why create the same template again and again? Save all your designed templates and build your own library. The next time you have to send a similar campaign, all you have to do is to just choose the best template from your own creations.
Before you send email newsletters to your subscribers, read it aloud to yourself several times. Then, send a test email to a few of your colleagues for review. Ask them to proofread the email, check for grammatical mistakes, alignment issues, and test links to verify that they are redirected to the correct page.
While creating an email campaign, it is always recommended to first send a test mail to view how the message will look in the recipients’ inbox. It provides a last chance to identify the errors in the content, if any. There are two ways to send the test mail.
To send a test mail
- In Content Preview page, go to Test Email (On the right side of page).
- Select Email address(es).
- Click Send Test Email.
- You can send a maximum of 50 test emails per day. To increase the test email limit, contact email@example.com.
- You can add a maximum of 20 test email address in an organization.
- At any time, you can send the test email to a maximum of 5 recipients out of the 20 email addresses added (Refer previous point).
- Links (also includes header and footer links) and merge tags will not work in a test email.
- A test email will be sent in two formats (HTML and Plain text). However a recipient of the actual campaign email will receive only one email.
To send your campaign, you need a list of subscribers to receive the emails. If you have your subscriber database saved in your desktop or on a Google spreadsheet, you can import those subscribers and save them as a mailing list.
If you are sending an email campaign, you can remove the subscribers based on previously sent campaigns so that you can focus on newly added subscribers and avoid blasting email at subscribers.
To exclude subscribers:
- In Recipients page, Click Exclude subscribers.
- This will prompt with a pop-up to exclude subscribers.
- Select the previous sent campaign from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save to proceed.
If you want to exclude subscribers of more than one campaign, you can Add Criteria in the popup message. The subscribers will be excluded by adding Any or All option wherein any subscribers of those previous sent campaigns will be excluded.
When you clone a campaign and send it to the same mailing list but with added subscribers which were used for the previous campaigns this option gives you a provision to exclude all those subscribers.
- You can Add Criteria option for a maximum of 5 email campaigns.
- Exclude Contacts feature is not available for A/B Campaigns or Child campaigns.
Before launching your email campaign, use the Send for Review option- to ensure that your email campaign reaches the recipient's inbox, not the spam folder. Our moderators check your subject line, mailing list, and content for anti-spam compliance.
Additionally, try to figure out the most opportune time of day and week to send your emails. Test your campaign out and analyze the results to find out what time of day will bring you the most exposure and attention.
Why is my email campaign reviewed?
When an e-mail campaign is reviewed by a moderator or an administrator , the campaign content plays a vital role with respect to the approval of the campaign to be sent. A list of mandatory checks are taken as the following below:
Subject: The reviewing starts with giving due importance to the subject line of any campaign. A wide understanding of the subject line, which is free from terms such as offer, sale, discount, and money, are scrutinized. This gives a check that their e-mail do not reach the spam rather than inbox.
Content: While reviewing the verbal content, it requires a multiple angle approach pertaining to the font size, color. Here, due importance is given so that the content never fall into spam because of objectionable usage of words. Apart from anti-spam policy, redirection of any given link is also reviewed and a check is made that it is related to their business goals. Personalization of e-mail and footer customization such as link for unsubscribe, not interested, tell a friend are reviewed.
Image: The next step is to deal with the visual content and review whether it contains any inexplicit or pornographic images. Stress is laid upon to check that the size of the images falls in congruent to the content and is loaded completely. The medium of images is also noticed whether it comes through text editor, html editor, template or design template.
Org Subscriber List: In this case, a thorough check is made that the account holder does not exceed the maximum number of subscribers covered in his plan, respectively. Any change with respect to list such as deletion or re-adding of the subscriber are checked . Orglist of a customer is whitelisted depending upon their past campaign details such as usage of same subscriber list.
Org Whitelist: When an account holder has a good history of campaigns free from any complaints with regards to the subject, content, subscriber list, spam; their orglist is completely whitelisted. It does not stop here; a random monitoring is done against any misuse of privilege provided to such genuine account holder.
Promote your campaign on social media
Share your email campaign on social media. Simply link your Zoho Campaigns account to your social media accounts (i.e., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, and Pinterest).
- Track URLs using Google Analytics - If you want to extract more data from your email campaign, make sure data tracking services such as Google Analytics and Website Automation are selected. If you know how many people open the email campaign and how many of them click the links, you’ll have better insights into what works and what doesn’t when you send your next campaign.
- Monitor plain-text campaigns - You can track plain-text campaigns by inserting links in your email content. Select the checkbox to enable link tracking for your email content.
- Character encoding - Select the appropriate character encoding to match your language script.
- Header and footer themes - Add background color, change the font style/ size, and personalize the header and footer for your email campaign by selecting a theme from the dropdown menu.