- Sending an Estimate
- Sending an Invoice
- Recording an Expense
- Tracking Expenses
- Collect Advance Payment or Retainer
- Associate projects to bills
Creating Transactions for Projects
Send estimates, invoices, record expenses and create retainers for your project.
Sending an Estimate
Send Estimates of your projects to your customers.
- Select the project from which you wish create an estimate.
- Click the New Transaction drop down placed on top of the window and select Create Estimate.
- You will be taken to the new estimate creation form where the customer details will be automatically populated.
- You can add project task(s) to Item Details by clicking the Include Tasks option.
Sending an Invoice
Charge your customers for the time you have spent on projects.
- Select the project from which you wish to raise an invoice.
- Click on the New Transaction drop down placed on top of the window and select Create Invoice.
- In the Bill up to field, enter the date up to which you wish to bill your customer.
- Select the method in which you like the data on invoice to be sorted from How to sort data on invoice drop down.
|Single line for the project||This will show the entire project information in a single line on the invoice.|
|Show all timesheet entries individually||All the unbilled timesheet work item will be individual entries on the invoice.|
|Group by tasks||Every task worked on will be a separate line item.|
|Group by users||Every task worked by an user will be in a single line item.|
|Group by tasks and users||Individual users and their tasks will be shown in a single line item.|
- Under the Show in item name section, the default name and description provided are the Project Name and Project Description. Options will be provided according to the selection you made from the How to sort data on invoice drop down.
- You can also include all the unbilled expenses that were recorded in this project by checking the Yes, Include all unbilled expenses associated with this project box.
- Click on Add, now you will be taken to the new invoice form where all the necessary data is filled. Add or remove data according to your necessity and click on Save and Send.
- For projects with billing method Fixed Cost for Projects, only Single line for the project option will be shown.
- For projects with billing method Based on Task Hours, the option Group by users will not be shown.
- For projects with billing method Based on Staff Hours, the option Group by tasks will not be shown.
- For projects with billing method Based on Project Hours, all the options will be shown.
Recording an Expense
Projects do have expenses. It can be anything from buying a coffee for your user to purchasing tools for a task. Record these expenses for your projects.
Click Here to read more about expenses.
- Select the project for which you need to record an expense.
- click on the New Transaction drop down placed on top of the window and select Create Expense.
- You will be taken to the new expense from where you can fill in details about the expense for the project. The Customer and Projects fields will be automatically populated.
- Click on Save.
The expenses that you’ve recorded for a project can be tracked in the Reports module of Zoho Books. You can view the expenses incurred in each project separately. To track your expenses:
- Navigate to the Reports module in the left pane.
- Select Expenses by Project under Purchases and Expenses.
- The Expenses by Project report displays the list of projects and their details. Only those projects with expenses recorded will be displayed in the report.
- Click on a project to view the the detailed summary of the expenses incurred for that project.
Also, you can customize the report based on the date range and the status of the expenses. To customize:
- Click the Customize Report option in the top bar.
- Select the Date Options and Expense Status according to your need.
- Click Run Report.
To view the overall summary of a project along with the expenses incurred:
- Navigate to the Reports module in the left pane.
- Select Project Details under Projects and Timesheet.
- Click the Customize Report option to customize the report according to your need.
Collect Advance Payment or Retainer
At times your might have to take an advance payment to buy tools or arrange resources for the project you are going to work on. Create a retainer invoice for the project and accept advance payments. You can later adjust them with the invoice you create from the project.
Click here to read more about Retainer Invoices.
- Select the project for which you need to create a retainer invoice.
- Click on the New Transaction drop down placed on top of the window and select Create Retainer Invoice.
- You will be taken to the new retainer invoice from where you can enter the details of the retainer to be collected from your customer and Save or Save and Send.
- This retainer invoice created can be seen inside your project dashboard from the Transactions tab by clicking on Filter by and selecting Retainer Invoices from the drop-down.
Associate projects to bills
You can associate customers and projects to line items in the bill and mark them as billable by clicking on the icon. If an item is marked as billable, the next time you create an invoice for that customer the number of unbilled bills will be displayed and you can choose to add them to your invoice.