Users & Roles
You can collaborate with your employees and accountants in Zoho Books by inviting them as users and providing role based access. Since Zoho Books is an online application, multiple users can access it and work from any location.
- Adding Users
- Deleting Users
- Changing User’s Status
- Adding Custom Roles
- Adding Custom Fields
- Restricting user access to a set of customers
Zoho Books allows you to add users. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Click on the Gear icon and select Users & Roles.
- Click on the Invite User button provided on the top right hand side of the Users page.
- Enter Email address and Name of the user.
- Choose a Role. Head to Adding Custom Roles section to know more about roles.
- Click Send button to send the email invitation.
The user needs to click on the Join Account link provided in the email to gain access to the organization he is invited to.
The user can be a part of this organization by clicking on the Sign up today link provided.
In case the user is already registered with Zoho Books he can login straight away to the account using his credentials.
To delete a user follow these steps:
- Click on the Gear icon and select Users from the drop-down. Hover over the user you wish to delete.
- Hover over the row of the user you wish to delete. Click on the Gear drop-down icon as seen in the image below and select Delete.
- A pop up window will appear to confirm if you wish to delete. Click OK to confirm.
- Only an admin can delete users.
- An admin cannot delete his or her own account.
- At any given point of time there has to be one admin.
Changing User’s status
In circumstances where you don’t want to permanently delete a user but would like to prevent or restrict a user from accessing Zoho Books, you can change the user’s status to inactive. This ensures that the person is no longer able to use Zoho books but remains listed as a user. You can also reactivate a user if you want him to use Zoho Books again.
To change the user’s status, follow these steps:
In the Users screen, hover over the row of the user you wish to reactivate or deactivate.
Click on the Gear drop-down icon as seen in the image below and select Mark as Inactive or Mark as Active.
Adding Custom Roles
Users can access the modules based on their role. Predefined roles are:
- Admin: has unrestricted access to all the modules. Usually this role is assigned to partners and accountants.
- Staff: has access to all modules except reports, settings and accountant.
- Timesheet Staff: A user with this role can only log time spent on a particular project and has no access to any other modules.
You can create additional roles based on your needs. To create a custom role, follow these steps:
- Go to Roles by clicking on the Gear icon and selecting Users from the drop-down.
- Create a role by clicking on the New Role button or click on the clone button to duplicate an existing role.
- Configure permissions based on your needs.
- Click Save.
- Assign the newly created role to the users.
Adding Custom Fields
Custom Fields for users allow you to quickly and easily add data against fields created by you. For example, you might want to add the phone numbers of all your users. You can just add a custom field called Phone Number against which you can enter the user’s number.
Label Name: Enter a name for your new custom field.
Data Type: A data type is simply the type of data you enter into a system. It can be a integer(number), string(text), float(decimal) and so on.
Is Mandatory: Mark this option as Yes, if you want the custom field to be a mandatory one, i.e, it shouldn’t be left blank.
The 12 data types supported by Zoho Books are:
|Data Type Name||Description|
|Text||Enter a word or a short phrase against the field name.|
|Enter an email address against the field name.|
|URL||Enter a URL to a file or a website against the field name.|
|Phone||Enter a contact number against the field name.|
|Number||Enter any positive or negative number against the field name.|
|Decimal||Enter any positive or negative decimal number against the field name.|
|Amount||The amount you enter will be displayed along with the currency you wish to display. It may be your organization’s base currency or the currency for that particular transaction.|
|Percent||Enter a value to denote a percentage against the field name.|
|Date||Select a date from the calendar for this field.|
|Checkbox||You can add a checkbox with a small text or description to tell what it is for. For example, it may be used to confirm an action or make a choice. If it is selected, the value ‘true’ is passed, if not ‘false’ is passed.|
|Auto-Generate Number||While creating transactions, you can create a custom field with this data type if you wish to automatically generate the data. For example, you can create a custom field called ‘Expense Reference’ and enter the values as shown in the image below,
Henceforth, for every expense you create, this field will be generated automatically.
|Drop-down||Enter a set of options for a field and select them from a drop-down.|
Default Value: The value entered in this field will be displayed by default for this field. You can always change it while adding an user.
Preview: You will be able to see how the custom field will look like, when you’re adding an user.
Finally click on Save to save the custom field.
Restricting user access to a set of customers
Zoho Books allows you to create a custom role for a user in which he/she can create, view and edit transactions for specific customers. You can then assign the user as a contact owner for that contact.
While creating a custom role, you can set permissions such that anyone in this role can only access and add new transactions only for assigned customers in the Contacts section.
In the New Role page, under the Contacts section, select,
- Customer: Allows the user to create transactions only for customers assigned to him/her.
In the users list page, hover the cursor over the name of the user, click on the Gear icon and select the option View Customers to view the customers the user has been assigned to.
Click here to learn more about assigning a user to a contact.
Note: Only Admin users can create custom roles, users and assign contact owners.