Zoho Mail Suite provides you various options to migrate your email from your current provider/ format to Zoho Mail. In case you have the email data of the users to be migrated in your Mail Server, which supports connection via POP or IMAP, you can do an IMAP or POP Migration for all the users of your Organization from Zoho Mail Admin console itself.
In case you have the data in Exchange Server or in the form of PST files, we have an inhouse utility, available on request using which you can perform a direct migration from Exchange Server, or migrate just the PST or EML files to the respective Zoho accounts. The process to Migrate from Exchange environment is explained in this help page.
POP or IMAP Migration
You can perform a Server to Server migration to migrate your emails from your previous provider to Zoho. Zoho Mail Migration Tool in the Control Panel supports both POP and IMAP Migration from your other email server. The Administrator can initiate a migration from the source accounts to the accounts created in Zoho Mail.
IMAP Migration retains the folder structure the user has in the previous email server, whereas, POP Migration fetches all the emails to the Inbox folder. The Administrator needs to have the following information before hand to initiate a migration.
- Name of the Server
- Server Port
- SSL Type
- Source User Names and Passwords
The Administrator can optionally specify the maximum concurrent connections allowed to the server, any folders he wants to exclude for users during migration (like Spam, Junk mail etc.), the times at which the migration should not be carried out etc.
Add Server Details for Migration
You can perform the migration in batches and from different servers, based on your requirement.
- Log in to mail.zoho.com
- Click Control Panel » Mail Administration » Migration
- Click Add New Migration
- Specify a valid reference name for the Migration
- Select the Protocol type for the Migration - POP or IMAP
- Provide in the Mail Server Name, Port and SSL Information
You can choose 'More Settings', to provide additional details like Connection Limit, Exclude Folder List, Black Out Time etc. Click 'Save' to save the migration and return to the Migrations home page.
Add User Details to be Migrated
After you have specified the Server Details and saved the Migration, you can proceed to add users for the migration. You can choose to add the source and destination details manually or import a CSV file, which has the specific account details for the particular migration.In both manual addition of accounts or CSV upload, each user will be authenticated with the credentials for the source server details provided. If the server cannot be connected or if the authentication fails, the accounts will not be added in the Migration.
Steps to Add users Manually:
- Click on the Migration for which you want to Add Accounts.
- Click Add accounts link to add the source and destination details one by one
- Provide the Source User name/ Email address for the Source Server added for migration
- Provide the Source Password associated with the email address with your earlier Email Provider
- Provide the Destination Email Address, to which the email data in the source account should be migrated to.
- Click Save to save the details. Continue the steps till you finish adding all the user details.
Steps to Import users from CSV file:
- Prepare a excel file or a Zoho Sheet with the headers Source, Password, Destination. You can optionally include a column Priority, which specifies the order in which users accounts needs to be migrated.
- Fill in the details under the respective columns for the user accounts to be migrated.
- Save the file as a CSV file.
- Click Upload Accounts link in the Migration Accounts page.
- Choose the respective file and Click Ok to upload the accounts.
- The accounts added will be listed in the section
- You can modify the Server Details, if any changes are needed, before you start the migration.
- Check whether all the Accounts to be migrated has been listed in this section
In the Control Panel, navigate to Migration under Mail Administration. Ensure that the source passwords are not changed after adding the users for migration. The password should be the same until the entire migration process is completed.
- Click on the Migration name which you want to start
- Check the Server details in the Server settings page
- Check whether the Source and Destination information for the Accounts listed are correct
- Click 'Go To Migration Status' in the right side.
- Click 'Start' to begin the listed Migration
- An alert message 'Migration has been scheduled' will appear
- You can see the status for the migration of individual Accounts during the process.
- Once all the Accounts show Completed status, you can infer that the Migration is successful
- In case there are any errors encountered during the Migration Process, it will be displayed in the status. You can get more details in the Migration Accounts page.
- A notification Email will be sent to the users in their destination Email Address specified, on successful completion of corresponding Migration.