If you own a private company, chances are you have considered going public or plan on doing so after you have accrued enough resources. And if this is your vision for your small or medium-sized business, a new legislative act put in place last week may be the impetus needed to turn that vision into reality.
Known as the Jumpstart Our Business Startups, or JOBS Act, this bipartisan legislative package aims at helping the growth of startups and small or medium-sized businesses, ultimately creating more jobs and boosting the overall economy. The bill consists of measures that reduce SEC restrictions on small and medium-sized companies and create new investment opportunities.
Specifically, the JOBS Act:
- Eases certain rules and restrictions the SEC imposes on small companies, allowing them to go public with less resources and in less time.
- Allows entrepreneurs (many of whom were previously banned from “crowdfunding”) to solicit and gather money from smaller investors.
- Raises the shareholder registration requirement threshold for small companies, thereby providing more flexibility to grow.
For some companies, going public is essential to creating job opportunities and acquiring more capital resources. And for those who believe start-ups are a critical element of the overall market, then the JOBS Act is a step in the right direction. Only time will tell if this legislation profoundly affects job growth and whether it will favor medium-sized companies over smaller start-ups, but the new measures may help expand your business’ window of opportunities.
If you would like to learn more about the new business measures provided by the JOBS Act, you can refer to the following links:
- JOBS Act: Jumpstart Our Business Startups
- JOBS Act just what Obama ordered
- House passes bipartisan bill aimed at start-ups
Please provide us with feedback below, as we want to know your opinion on these new provisions and how you think they will affect your business.
And when the time comes for your business to start growing, the team here at Zoho is right here to help – with tools to mange your pipeline, manage your finances and help you hire the people you need.