Editing a Document
Insert Document Elements
You can also add external links to your document and re-direct the readers to another page.
To insert link:
- Select the word or pharse to which you want to add the link.
- In the Insert tab, click the Link icon.
- Enter the link in the text box, and click apply. The link will be added to the selected text. You can also delete or modify the link by clicking on the text.
With Zoho Writer you can insert shapes in documents or combine multiple shapes to make a drawing or a more complex shape.
To insert a shape:
- In the Insert tab, under Picture section, click the Shape icon. The Insert Shape dialog box is displayed.
- In the Insert Shape box, click the shape that you want to insert, and drag to draw in the clipboard to get the shape in required size.
- To add background color add background color to the shape, click Fill drop-down list and add required color,
- To add outline color to the shape, click the Stroke drop-down list, and choose the color required.
- To insert created shape to the document, click Insert.
To insert text in a shape:
- To add text in the shape, right-click the shape and click Edit Text.
- Enter text, and click Insert. The shape is inserted in the document with the text.
You can add images to your documents directly from the web or from your local drive.
To add image:
- In the Insert tab, under the Picture section, click the Image icon. The Insert Image dialog box is displayed.
- To add images from your computer, click the From Computer radio button, and then click Choose File to add image.
To add image from web, click the From Web URL radio button, and enter URL in the text box.
- Click Insert.
Adding videos to your document is as easy as it can get. You can directly embed YouTube videos to your documents and make it more interactive.
To insert video:
- In the Insert tab, under Quick Parts section, click the drop-down arrow on the Video icon.
- Paste the Youtube link in the text box and the video is displayed.
- Click Insert. The video is embedded in your document.
Bookmarks are shortcuts to specific places within a document. You can use bookmarks when you need to make a table of contents, or when you want to jump from one part of a long document to another without scrolling.
Create a Bookmark
To create a bookmark in a document:
- Select the text where you want to place the bookmark in your document.
- In the main menu, click Insert, and click the Bookmark icon. A pop-up window is displayed.
- In the Enter bookmark name field, type the name of the bookmark.
The text is bookmarked and the bookmark icon is added beside the text for reference.
- To remove a bookmark, click the bookmark icon and then click Remove.
Creating a Link to the Bookmark
You can link your bookmarks as reference anywhere in your document, and avoid scrolling to reach different sections.
To create link to a bookmark:
- Select the text that you want to link.
You can also click anywhere in your document to create a link there.
- In the main menu, click Insert, and then click the Link icon. The Insert link pop-up window is displayed.
- In the Link to section, click the Bookmark option.
- In the Text field, enter the text that you want to appear. For example: Click Here, See.
- In the Bookmark drop-down list, click the required bookmark.
- Click Ok.
- If you need to edit or remove the link, click the text and from the small pop-up select Modify Link or Remove Link.
Add Table of Content
A table of contents makes it easy for you, your collaborators, and viewers to quickly navigate to a section in your document.
To add table of content:
- Select the Heading text.
- In the Home tab, select the heading style. By default, the heading style if selected as Normal.
- After applying heading styles for all the headings in your document, place the cursor where you want to nsert the table of content.
- In the Insert tab, under References, click Table of Contents. The table of contents will be inserted
- You can continue to add headings to your document or change current headings. To reflect the changes in the table of contents, in the table of contents table click the Refresh icon.
- To remove the table of contents click the Delete icon.
Add Mathematical Equations
You can easily insert mathematical equations into your documents, and collaborate on a single equation with multiple people.
To add an equation to the document:
- In the main menu bar, click Insert > Equations. The LaTex editor window is displayed.
- From the Symbols/Functions section, select the appropriate category. The corresponding symbols for that category is displayed.
- Click the symbol you need to add to the document, and click Insert.
- You can view the syntax and preview of the symbol selected by you, in the LaTex syntax and Preview section of the window.
Add and Delete Tables
You can easily add tables to your document and delete each row, column, or cell individually.
To add a table:
- In the main menu, click Insert >Table.
- Select the number of rows and column and click to add the table to your document.
- To addmore rows or columns, click the right and left arrow key that appears when you click on a cell.
To insert footnotes:
- Place your cursor where you want to add the note, click the Insert tab and select Endnote/Footnote.
- Select the Footnote radio button and type in your footnote in the pop-up window.
- Click Insert.
- Footnotes appear in the document margin on your screen, and at the bottom of the page when printed. If you'd like to see how the footnotes will look when printed, go to the File >> Print Preview. Or, you can go to the File menu, and select Download file as PDF.
- To delete a footnote, delete the footnote from the body of the document, and this will delete all content for that footnote.
- When you make a copy of a document, footnotes will be copied as well. If you copy and paste text that contains a footnote, however, the footnote may not be copied and pasted by default.
Add Text Color
You can change the text color of your document from the variety of colors available in Writer. You can also create your own color by using the advanced color palette.
To add text color:
- Select the text to which you want to add the color.
- In the Home menu, click the drop-down arrow on the FontColor icon.
- Choose the color required for your text. The selected text color will change automatically.
Add Background Color
You can add background colors to selected text to highlight or emphasize the text. You can choose from the colors available or create your own color from the advance color palette.
To add background color:
- Select the text to which you want to add the color.
- In the Home menu, click the drop-down arrow on the BackgroundColor icon.
- Choose the color required color. The background color is now applied on the selected text.
- For more colors, click the More colors link, and choose color from the advance color palette.
Using this option you can highlight a selected sentence or paragraph. It helps to emphasise the section, and highlight main features in the documents.
To highlighting text:
- Select the text that you want to highlight.
- In the Home tab, click the Shading icon, and choose your appropriate shade. The selected text will be highlighted with the selected color.
Line Spacing Options
This section explains the various options available to set the line spacing deatils for your document.
To customize line spacing options:
- In the Home tab, click the Line Spacing drop-down list, and then click Spacing and Indentation.
- In the Spacing and Indentation window, under Spacing section, set the required points for line spacing before and after paragraph, and between the lines.
In the Indentation section, set the measurements for indentation for the left and right section of the page.
- Click Ok. The document will be formatted according to the values set.
Use Tabs and Rulers
Using the tab settings option you can set the tab points in the ruler as per your specification and not manually move the curser to place your content.
To set the tab points:
- In the Page Layout tab, click Tab Settings. The Tab Stop Position window is displayed.
- Click the Add button to add multiple stop points.
- Set the required Distance, Allignment, and Leader for each tab point.
- To delete a tab point, click the icon next to each tap point.
- You can also set the measurements for Default tab stops.
- Click Apply.
Borders and Shading
This section will guide to customize border and apply shading.
To apply border and shading:
- In the Home tab, click the Borders and Shading icon.
- In the Borders and Shading window, under Border section, click the Top, Right, Bottom, and Left checkboxes to add borders.
- Select the Width, Style, and Color from the respective fields.
- In the Shading section, select the required background color, and click Apply.
Tip: You can see the Preview in the right side of the window before applying the style.
Add Header and Footer
You can customize and set header and footer for your documents.
To add header and footer:
- Double click in the header and footer area of the document to open the Header and Footer section.
- Enter the text for header and footer.
- In the Page Layout tab, click Header/Footer drop-down list and choose the appropriate positions for the header/footer.
To add watermark to your document:
- In the Page Layout tab, click Watermark. The Insert Watermark window is displayed.
- To add a text watermark, click the Text Watermark option.
- Enter the desired text, set the proper format, and click Apply.
To add a picture watermark, click Picture Watermark option.
- Click Browse to add image for the local drive. Set the image properties as per your requirement, and click Apply.
Advanced Editing Tools
This is an useful tool that is used to copy format from a text and apply it the selected text.
To use format painter:
- Select the text from which you want to copy the formatting and style.
- In the Home tab, click the Format Painter icon.
- Click the text to which you want to copy the style. The style will be applied to the selected text.
You can opt for the Auto Correct option, if you want a mispelt word to be automatically replaced with another at all instances.
To use the auto correct option:
- Right click on the word showing an error, and in the drop-down list, click Auto correct.
- A pop-up window is displayed, and the flagged word is listed under the Replace field.
- In the With field, enter the word that you want it to be replaced with.
- Click Add. The word that was flagged will be automatically replaced with the word you entered in auto correct.
Insert Quick Text
QuickText helps in storing the most used content as a mini templates in Zoho Writer. You can create save number of content as QuickText, including custom header and footer, paragraph for a standard letter, graphical image of sales growth, product comparison table, or others. The data can be stored and used across all the Zoho writer documents.
To create QuickText in Zoho Writer:
- Select a range of text in your document.
- In the main menu, click Insert, and under Quick Parts section click the QuickText icon. The drop-down list is displayed.
- In the drop-down list, click Save selection to QuickText gallery. The text is now added to the gallery.