Zoho Creator provides options to copy an existing application to be used as a template (i.e only the structure of the application will be copied as a new application without the data) or to backup the application with data.
Who can copy/backup an application?
- For a private application,
- The application owner can copy the application structure without data. If he/she has subscribed to the Standard Edition or above, he can also back up the application with data.
- Shared users who are configured as "Developers" and provided edit access to edit an applicaton, can copy the application structure.
- For a public application,
- All users of a public application can copy the application structure without data.
You can copy/duplicate the application in the following ways
1. From the Home page
- In the Zoho Creator Home page, the application created by you will be listed one below the other. When you mouse over the application name, the options “Edit”, “Duplicate” and “Delete” will be displayed.
- Click on “Duplicate” to create a copy of your application.
- Once duplicated, the application will be listed in the Home page with name Copy of <ApplicationName>. For example, if your are copying an application named Contacts, the duplicate copy will be named as Copy of Contacts.
2. From Application Live mode - Using the Copy Application option
- While accessing an application in live mode, click on Options -> Copy application, from the links displayed on the top right corner, Click on “Options” and click on the “Duplicate Application” link.
- The application will be duplicated and displayed in your home page.
3. Copy application as a script file ( .ds file)
To copy application as a script file,
1. Go to application live mode, by selecting "Access this application" button, displayed on the top-right corner of the application edit mode. Alternatively, click on the application name from your Zoho Creator Home page, to go to the live mode of the application.
2. Select Options -> Save as Script displayed in the top-right corner.
The entire application will be saved as a .ds file at the desired location. You can create a copy of this application later, by importing this Deluge script file. Refer to Creating an application by Importing Deluge Script.
Note: Please note that while copying/duplicating the application, a copy of the application will be made without the data. You’d have to manually import/input data into the newly created application.
Backup the application with data
Zoho Creator supports the backup feature only in Standard Edition and above. This backup includes the data also. Refer this link for more information on application backup with data.